Basically, research on Organizational Memory can concentrate on knowledge explication, or on knowledge capitalization
explication of tacit knowledge:
- the typical expert system approach
- [KühnAbecker97]: cost-benefit problems
- [Rittel72],[Buckingham Shum 97]: feasibility for “wicked problems”?
- [DavenportJarvenpaa+96]: construction and maintenance problems
TWO COMPLEMENTARY APPROACHES
The KnowMore approach concentrates on the second goal.
- capitalization on implicit and existing explicit knowledge:
- existing documents and knowledge sources often severely underutilized
- ease finding, access, and exploitation
- increase utilization potential