Product View and Process View
Proposition: knowledge can be represented as a thing that can be located and manipulated as an independent object
- it is possible to capture, distribute, measure and manage knowledge
- Proposition: it is only feasible to promote, motivate, encourage, nurture or guide the process of knowing
- the idea of trying to capture and distribute knowledge seems senseless
- Focus: on products and artifacts containing and representing knowledge
- usually, this means managing documents, their creation, storage, and reuse in computer-based corporate memories.
- Focus: on KM as a social communication process
- which can be improved by various aspects and tools of collaboration and cooperation support.
(Kühn & Abecker / KnowNet Consortium)