Core Research Question
How can context and attention models be used to support knowledge workers with constructing meaning from information?
- Sensemaking is at the heart of interdisciplinary KM research
- Cognitive & social psychology (e.g., Dervin)
- Organizational sciences (e.g., Weick, Wiig)
- Information sciences (cf. Case)
- Artificial Intelligence (e.g., Furnas, Russell, Stefik, Card)
- Construction of meaning from complex information is
- Attentive documents carry valuable knowledge for their context-oriented interpretation, e.g., by maintaining relations to
- to their creation context
- to the way they have been perceived (e.g., which parts have been skimmed over, carefully read, not been perceived)
- Mental model representations reflect a user's
Meaning is constructed as a result of coordination processes between these mental model representations and the models contained in attentive documents.