Core Research Question
How can state-of-the-art technology be used to assess a user’s attention during knowledge work?
- Text comprehension is a central aspect of document-centered knowledge work
- User attention is a basis for subsequent comprehension processes
- Explicit measurement of attention is out of reach
- State-of-the-art technology allows for unobtrusive evidence generation for user attention
- The user’s attentional state & focus is estimated
- using webcam and eye tracking technology.
- The text work recognition module
- uses eye tracking + visible text area + scroll + mouse events.
- classifies visible text passages: read / skimmed / unread / …
- Interaction devices explicitly provide attention data
- e.g., usage of a digital stylus to highlight interesting text passages
- Connections to the physical environment come into reach
- e.g., recognition of bar codes / RFID tags on books
Mymory exploits multiple sources of evidence for assessing user attention.
Attention Generation from Multiple Sources