Knowledge Validation and Exploration by Global Analysis
The VEGA research tries to provide a structured framework for the
VALIDATION and EXPLORATION of knowledge bases (KBs) by global
analysis. This knowledge EVOLUTION framework will be offered to
developers and users of KBs.
While much knowledge is acquired and represented in KBs, often its
interconnections remain unexplored (lack of discovery support) and
its content is not validated (lack of quality control). Expert
systems accessing such KBs suffer from the resulting brittleness.
Knowledge engineers shall thus interact with the VEGA system for
evolving (i.e., exploring and validating) KBs represented in a highly
portable (declarative) language.
- Knowledge exploration: Detect interesting connections between items in a KB.
- Knowledge validation: Increase a KB's trustworthiness and performance.
- Provide a language for both problem solving and KB evolution,
representing knowledge at a high level of abstraction, and
translators from existing KBs to that language.
- Supply techniques for KB exploration and validation,
combining global-analysis and knowledge-transformation methods
with scalable, symbolic machine-learning mechanisms.
- Develop a methodology for exploring hypotheses formulated in
the KB language and feeding back interesting, validated patterns
into the KB.
The VEGA approach shall be demonstrated with KBs supporting engineers.
In particular, we are building a KB to be used for recycling-oriented
product and production planning in the domain of plastics and composite
The VEGA project is divided into three parts:
- DRL: Declarative Knowledge Representation Language (here RELFUN)
- KES: Knowledge Evolution System (here currently available in German only)
- APPLKB: Application Knowledge Base (here RPPP)
VEGA's joinder of sharing and evolution is found in a German review
more details and publications in its German-English final report (here).
last change: 26 Mar 98